Haiti - Day 4

We woke up this morning just before 7am.  Thankfully we had running water!  Unfortunately, there was no time to shower.  :(  We tried calling home but there was no wifi.  We met on the roof for prayer.  Then we went to the Restoration House and had eggs, bread, peanut butter, pineapple, banana and coffee.  It was great!

After breakfast, Pastor Lafleur discussed the tasks that we were to complete.  I chose to work on the hill by the "castle" house.  We hauled gravel, concrete and cement blocks down a very steep hill on a pat that was about a quarter of a mile long.  It was very hot.  At least yesterday we were able to take breaks in the shade, but today was just sun.  There were two small shady spots, but even they didn't seem to relieve the heat.

After a few hours we headed back.  The walk through the village was pretty.  The hard work was totally worth the view.  On the way back someone pointed out what they thought was a catholic church.  I peaked into the "church" but didn't see a cross.  I said that I didn't believe it was a church and returned to the road.  We later found out it was a voodoo temple.  I'm glad that I didn't have any part of that.  A few other individuals stepped inside and took pictures.  That worried me a little.

I was tired after lunch and could have easily taken a nap, but it was time to go to the feeding program.  As soon as I stepped on the church yard, I felt Rose grab my hand.  She has the most beautiful smile.  She pulled me around the side of the church and asked me to paint her nails.  I gladly so so even though it meant painting over yesterday's manicure.

Other children started to gather and Rose tried to make them go away.  She told them I was *her* sponsor. I gave Rose some stickers and a piece of candy and told her I was going to give some to the other kids.  They crowded in.  There were probably 60 or more surrounding me.  I told them to get in a line.  A gentleman came over and helped control the chaos.  After the majority of the kids received a treat, the man told them we were done.  Rose zipped my back pack closed.  As we walked away, there was a little toddler about Liam's age wearing a t-shirt and diaper looking at me with huge, hopeful brown eyes and a cupped, outstretched hand.  How could I say "no" to that?  Even the man who had been helping me said "Awww..... baby."  I reached into my bag for one last sucker.  It was great to see him smile.

I was fortunate that day, to meet Rose's family.  She lives with her aunt, grandmother and cousin.  Her mother died when she was a month old.  That broke my heart into a million pieces.  In my mind, she had a mommy that loved her very much and she went home to her every day after school.  I could tell that her family loved her but I was very sad that she didn't have a mom.  I enjoyed speaking to Rose's family about her.  I learned her clothing size, shoe size and other information that I didn't previously have.

After the feeding program was over, we went back to the hotel and everyone was excited to hear about my meeting with Rose's family.  It was awesome to share my story with them.  That night, at the Restoration House, we had what can only be described as liquefied Cinnamon Toast Crunch for dinner.  It was good but hot.  Looking back, I'm not exactly sure how I feel about hot porridge when it is so hot outside.  :)


Post a Comment