Pages

Need help lowering my power bill AND the temperature in my house

My thermostat is set to 76 degrees fahrenheit. It is almost 8:00pm and currently 81 degrees on the lower level of my house. It is much hotter upstairs and the baby's nursery is probably pushing 90 degrees. That is not a good temperature for a baby...

So help me out. How can I lower the temperature in my house without killing my energy bill which, by the way was almost $400.00 last month!?! I've been looking into installing a radiant barrier in the attic and possibly on the garage door. Any experiences with this? Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated!

Steps we are currently taking:

1. Installing ceiling fans in all of the bedrooms upstairs
2. Reallocating some of the insulation above the nursery (it seemed thin in spots)
3. Turning off the pilot light to the gas logs (should have probably done that in March... Oops.)

3 comments:

BC said...

It looks like your off to a good start. I would look into these 2 things. They are on amazon. P3 International P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor
and a Black & Decker TLD100 Thermal Leak Detector. I have also heard that putting up the radiant film barrier on the windows can help up to 15%-25%.

Radiant Barrier Expert said...

A radiant barrier will help your house from having the thermal radiant heat from entering it. I won't lie, I am a little biased since we install it but right now we're shooting a video of an attic that has temperatures in the 100+ but underneath the radiant barrier the insulation is a cool 70 degrees! If you want contact Energy Improvements and ask for a free energy consultation and we'll see if we can make you feel more comfortable. By the way, congratulations on the soon to be new addition to your house!

Stephanie said...

I wish I had more insight on this, Karen! The ceiling fans will help a lot, also - make sure you have good seals on your doors and windows to keep in the cool air. At least when the baby comes it will be the middle of November so you won't have to worry about it being so hot when he/she is a newborn, and you'll have 5 or 6 months to prepare for the dreadful heat... let me know if I can do anything to help!

Post a Comment