Consignment Sales - Friend or Enemy?

Nothing feels quite as awesome as getting a great deal. 80% of all of my children's clothing is used. The remaining 20% was given to us or purchased on sale. I don't think I've ever purchased anything clothing for my kids at retail price. Used clothing is great on the wallet and on the environment.

With the beginning of the new year, we are coming up on the Spring/Summer consignment sales. Specifically, in Greenville there are three major sales approaching: An Angel's Attic - Feb 3-5 (, Switch a Roos - Feb 11-13 ( and Trunk Treasures - March 4-8 and 10-13 ( If you know of any others, please let me know!

I have a few rules for purchasing items at consignment sales. If followed, consignment sales can be your best friend:

1. Make a list - Consignment sales can be very large and overwhelming. Know what you are looking for. Also, be prepared to spend at least an hour or two there.

2. Purchase items only on that list - It can be very easy to buy something "just because it costs $3." Do that 5 or 6 times and you are quickly going over budget. Don't buy something just because you are "saving" a lot on it. Remember, it isn't about how much you save. It is about how much you spend.

3. Only purchase items on the last day during the 1/2 off sale - It may seem that by waiting the good stuff may be gone, but that isn't true. I have come out of consignment sales with many cute, name-brand outfits on 1/2 off day. Just be prepared to spend a lot of time picking through the racks.

4. Bring cash and do not spend more than the cash that you bring - This will help you stay on budget. Keep a mental tally of how much you are spending in your head and stop when you are within $10 of your budget.

I have purchased entire seasonal wardrobes for all of my children for under $100.00. Cadence wears everything from Target brand to Limited Too. Gabriel has Tommy Hilfiger jeans and Gap tops. William wears mostly Carter. All of their clothing has been purchased for 70-90% less than retail.

Consignment shops are another great resource; however, I usually buy clothing there in the off-season to get the items on sale. I sell my children's clothing at a local consignment shop and use the money I make for in-store credit.


Post a Comment